Pass your mouse over a photo
for a brief description
Click on the photo to obtain
a full-size image
This instrument was originally built in 1867 for the Union Chapel, Islington to a design by H J Guantlett. It was re-installed here on a west end gallery at a cost of £600 (equivalent to £75,000 today) after Union Chapel acquired its "Father" Willis (see April 2020's Organ of the Month).
In 1903, the Walsall-based firm of Nicholson & Lord moved the organ to its present position as the centre-piece at the east end of the church (see centre photo).
At this point, it appears to have lost one of its original two Great Mixtures and a Swell Echo Dulciana Cornet V: one hopes only because of limitations of space in its new location!
It acquired an Historic Organ Certificate in 1998 and the latest restoration by J W Walker included renewing the main reservoirs and restoring the manual key action. It is voiced on a modest 2¾in wg pressure, but sounds well in this relatively small building.