Pass your mouse over a photo
for a brief description
Click on the photo to obtain
a full-size image
This is the only church in the Llandaff diocese to conduct its services exclusively in Welsh. It was consecrated in 1863 as St Andrew's Church (hence the name of the crescent where it is located); but in the mid 1950s, the congregation had dwindled as local houses were converted to offices, so those remaining decided to move to St Telio's Church, Cathays. The building was taken over by the congregation of Capel Dewi Sant, a Welsh-language church that had been severely damaged due to enemy action in World War II. It was reconsecrated as Eglwys Dewi Sant in 1956.
The "Father" Willis organ dates from 1887, when composer Edwin Lemare is known to have played here. In 1927, the Sweetland Company added stops prepared for in the Willis specification, including the Pedal Trombone, Swell Contra Fagotto and Choir Orchestral Oboe.
In 1980, Peter Hindmarsh of Cardiff undertook a complete restoration of the instrument, but with no re-voicing of the Willis pipework and retaining many of its original features such as the eight combination pedals and the "sharp" pitch.