Pass your mouse over a photo
for a brief description
Click on the photo to obtain
a full-size image
On a Saturday afternoon last autumn, BOA members visited several churches situated to the west of Birmingham, including St James in the village of Wollaston, near Stourbridge.
The church houses a 2-manual Nicholson organ, but of much later vintage than the previous Organ of the Month (no.205); however, it does include some material from the church's previous instrument by J W Walker dating from 1859, so its origins are from the same time-period.
The new organ has a larger Pedal division and more developed upperwork. The manual key compass is 56 notes (to high G) and the action is mechanical with electric stop action. There are separate expression pedals for the two shutter fronts of the Swell division, one into the transept and one into the chancel.
Resident Organist Daniel Campbell, now a BOA member, made us very welcome and demonstrated the organ before inviting us to try it for ourselves.