(H) N & B, 1906, 1948
Rushworth & Dreaper, 1964
Hawkins & Son, 1977
Pass your mouse over a photo
for a brief description
Click on the photo to obtain
a full-size image
It's been far too long (incredibly, over five years!) since a Birmingham church featured on these pages, but we can now correct that serious omission because St Nicolas Kings Norton was the venue for BOA's annual service last year.
A church is known to have been present on this site since the 11th century, but parts of the current church date from the early 13th century and the spire dates from the 15th century. An organ was installed in 1857 by the local firm of J Halmshaw, but the origins of the present instrument are from a new organ constructed in 1906 by Norman & Beard Ltd.
The instrument was overhauled by Hill, Norman & Beard in 1948 when new thumb pistons and other accessories appeared. The action was electrified and some tonal changes made by Hawkins in 1977 and in 1995 the manual compass was expanded from 58 to 61 notes.
BOA member Sylvia Fox is the organist here. Directing the choir from the organ, she had prepared a service enjoyed by BOA members that included a hymn tune by John Joubert who, for over 50 years, has been a Birmingham resident in the nearby suburb of Moseley.