Pass your mouse over a photo
for a brief description
Click on the photo to obtain
a full-size image
Delegates of the IAO Congress
entering Great Badminton
Great Badminton parish church is of considerable interest because of its original Georgian box pews & pulpit and its large monument of the first Duke of Beaufort by Grinling Gibbons, moved here from St George's Chapel Windsor in 1875.
A plaque placed near the organ (see central photo) records that the fact that instrument was donated by the 9th Duke of Bedford in memory of his mother and sister. Its case (also the choir stalls and communion rail) is the work of Temple Moore and also dates from 1908.
Following her recital at Westonbirt House (see Organ of the Month 128), Margaret Phillips again delighted IAO Congress delegates with some lesser-known repertoire on this unmolested Walker from the Edwardian era. Her recital included, in the 150th anniversary year of his birth, Leon Boëllmann's Carillon (see below).
The organ was cleaned in 1973 by Walker & Sons but remains without tonal modification. It was awarded a Historic Organ Certificate in 1999.
Listen to Helga Schauerte playing Boëllmann's Carillon as Mar 13's Music of the Month.