Harrison & Harrison, 1931
Trevor Tipple, 2006
Pass your mouse over a photo
for a brief description
Click on the photo to obtain
a full-size image
This is the first of three organs to be featured following the association's trip to Shrewsbury, which began in the ancient church of St Alkmund, reputedly founded circa 912, with the present tower and spire dating from 1475.
The organ was originally built by Harrison & Harrison for Dr Sydney Nicholson, founder of the Royal School of Church Music. Interestingly, it is even now on long-term loan from the RSCM, and was rebuilt in the church by Trevor Tipple, following which Kevin Bowyer gave the inaugural recital.
St Alkmund's is the headquarters of the Sam Baker School of Church Music, named after the former distinguished teacher of its present Director, David Leeke. It is a regional educational initiative that gives tuition to those wanting to lead worship in local churches. BOA Council Member James Luxton was recently on the staff of the School.
Although of modest proportions, the organ sounds well in the generous acoustic of St Alkmund's. One unusual feature is provision of a Great to Swell, rather than a Swell to Great, coupler.