Pass your mouse over a photo for a brief description Click on the photo to obtain a full-size image
Click herefor Organ of the Month archive (contains over 100 organs)
In the city centre location of Carrs Lane (adjacent to the large Marks & Spencer store) there is a combined church & conference centre, completed in 1970, which is Birmingham's central base for the United Reformed Church.
The new building acquired an organ by HN&B using what was then some of the latest techniques, including electric action and schwimmers to control wind supply. As a result the organ appears to comprise the four tone cabinets hanging off one of the walls (see central photo) and very little else.
The specification is based on the Werkprinzip system, but the instrument does contain some ranks from an older, larger instrument of 1933 (also by Norman & Beard) which was in the old Carrs Lane Congregational Church.
The console is located on a rear gallery, which also contains seating for a choir, and the organist plays with the organ pipes behind him/her.