organ106 - Birmingham Organists' Association

Go to content

organ106

Organs

no. 106

April 2011

4 manuals
44 speaking stops

Click here for full spec


St Peter's
Brighton

Builders:

"Father" Willis, 1888, 1910
Hill, Norman & Beard, 1956, 1984

Weblinks:



Pass your mouse over a photo for a brief description

Click on the photo to obtain a full-size image



Click here for
Organ of the Month archive
(contains over 100 organs)


This is the last of a series of "Organs of the Month" encountered during last year's IAO Congress based in Brighton - and this one is in Brighton city centre, a short walk from the sea-front hotel that was the base for the 2010 Congress.

Henry Willis originally built this instrument for the Hampstead Conservatoire in London, and then moved it to its present location in 1910.
HN&B changed the manual action to electro-pneumatic in 1956, when the console was modernised and two Pedal ranks extended. Although the manual compass is to top C, the top 3 notes are dummies. In 1984, the pedal action was also converted to electro-pneumatic and some alterations were made to the Swell upperwork.

Like last month's featured organ, but on a much grander scale, this is another fine example of the work of this master organ-builder. The last recital of the 2010 Congress was given here by Neil Cockburn.
Back to content