ORGAN OF THE MONTH 103: January 2011

St Nicholas, Arundel
(William Gray, 1817 / Joseph Walker, 1865 /J W Walker, 1991)

Click on the thumbnail to obtain a full-size image


This is another organ visited during last summer's IAO Congress based in Brighton, and the photo on the left shows your Webmaster and BOA Assistant Secretary Nick Fanthom playing the last movement of Wesley's Duet in C on this historic instrument.

The Parish and Priory Church of Arundel, itself an historic building dating from 1380,  houses a Walker organ that was recently awarded a Grade II Historic Organ Certificate.  Some of the pipework dates back to an 1817 Gray organ, but major work was carried out in 1865 by Joseph Walker.  It was moved to its present location at the east end of the north chancel in 1878, when the present case was provided by Hill & Son, and underwent a further major rebuild and restoration in 1990/1.

It retains highly decorated case pipes (see central photo), flat stop jambs, a trigger Swell pedal, and a straight pedalboard.



Send mail to with questions or comments about this web site.
Last modified: December 27, 2010