ORGAN OF THE MONTH 93: March 2010

St Francis of Assisi, Bournville
(Nicholson & Co 1903; Conacher 1926)

Click on the thumbnail to obtain a full-size image


Perhaps not surprisingly considering its location, this organ's origin is closely linked with the Cadbury family.  It was built as a two-manual instrument in 1903, and installed in the "Girls' Dining Room" of the Cadbury factory.  Three years later, Nicholson added a Choir division - without the mutations that appear there today.

It was presented by George Cadbury to the parish church of St Francis in 1926 and installed there by Conacher.  Nicholson did further work in 1933, and in 1953 - to commemorate the coronation of the present Queen and as a result of donations in memory of Dame Elizabeth Cadbury - added the high-pressure reeds.

The action was electrified by John Lloyd in 1989, and some additions were made including Mixtures to both Great and Pedal divisions, the Choir Tierce, and making the Swell Contra Fagotto available independently on the Pedal Organ.  There is now an usually large array of couplers, including a "Great & Swell pistons combined".  The organ is currently in the care of Trevor Tipple.


Send mail to with questions or comments about this web site.
Last modified: April 04, 2010