BIRMINGHAM ORGANISTS' ASSOCIATION

 

 

ORGAN OF THE MONTH 81: March 2009

St Bartholomew, Edgbaston
(Hill, Norman & Beard, 1956)

Click on the thumbnail to obtain a full-size image

Specification

Edgbaston Old Church houses a HN&B instrument that incorporates some of the pipework and chests from a Hill organ originally installed in the church in 1890.  The opening recital of the 1956 organ was given by Sir William Harris.  It is currently the subject of a 200,000 appeal for funds to enable restoration to start in 2010.  For details about the appeal, click here.

There are at least two unusual features: not only a Choir to Great and a Great to Choir coupler but also a perspex "ear protector" for the organist, mounted above the console (see middle photograph)!

 

 


Send mail to  webmaster@bhamorgan.org.uk with questions or comments about this web site.
Last modified: February 28, 2009