BIRMINGHAM ORGANISTS' ASSOCIATION

 

 

ORGAN OF THE MONTH 77: November 2008

St Augustine, Holly Hall, Dudley
(Nicholson, 1887, 1979)

Click on the thumbnail to obtain a full-size image

Specification

Although currently in need of substantial work, this instrument is of considerable historic interest, and was awarded a Grade II certificate to this effect by the British Institute of Organ Builders in January 2007.

It was originally built for the Three Choirs Festival of 1887, but before installation in Worcester Cathedral was erected in Dudley Public Hall as part of an exhibition to celebrate Queen Victoria's Golden Jubilee.  Following the Worcester festival, the organ was moved to Lincoln Cathedral for another festival, but returned to Dudley in 1889 on hire to St Augustine's.  The church purchased the organ from Nicholson & Co in 1892 - for 480.  There is little evidence of major work being done until the 1979 overhaul.  A new blower was purchased in 1990, installed by Trevor Tipple who by then (as now) was responsible for tuning & maintenance.

Building work inside the church over the last ten years or so has created a lot of dust from which the organ does not seem to have been adequately protected. Inevitably, this is now causing damage to leatherwork and pipes.

 

Send mail to  webmaster@bhamorgan.org.uk with questions or comments about this web site.
Last modified: October 31, 2008