BIRMINGHAM ORGANISTS' ASSOCIATION

 

ORGAN OF THE MONTH 64: October 2007

St Margaret's, Olton
(Norman & Beard 1900)

Click on the thumbnail to obtain a full-size image

Specification

Following the enlargement of the church in 1898, when the Nave, Transepts and Aisles were built, a fund was started to purchase a new (larger) organ.  For the original (1900) specification of three manuals and 28 stops, Norman & Beard had quoted just 734 - difficult to imagine in today's financial climate!  The opening recital was given by C W Perkins, Organist of Birmingham Town Hall.

Since then, the organ has received attention from HN&B (1931), Dunchurch (1965), and Sheffield (1943, 1970s and 1987).  An electric blower was installed in 1943.  Keyboards, pedalboard and action were renewed in 1987.  The specification has been substantially modified over the years, especially the Choir Organ which typically for its period had no mutations in the original specification but had instead a Keraulophon and Clarinet.

BOA's 2007 annual service was held here, when BOA council member Eddie Guard directed the choir with Mick Perrier at the organ.

 

Send mail to  webmaster@bhamorgan.org.uk with questions or comments about this web site.
Last modified: September 30, 2007