BIRMINGHAM ORGANISTS' ASSOCIATION

 

ORGAN OF THE MONTH 29: November 2004

St Wulfram's, Grantham (Forster & Andrews, 1868; Norman & Beard, 1906; Philip Wood & Son, 1994)

Click on the thumbnail to obtain a full-size image

Specification

Another "out of town" Organ of the Month from the association's September trip to Grantham and Lincoln.  This instrument can trace its origins back to a Byfield organ of 1736, some pipework of which remains in the present instrument, but it was first placed in its present position in the North Aisle by Forster & Andrews.  At the time of the N&B rebuild, the splendid casework was provided by Walter Tapper,  Rushworth & Draper carried our further work after the second world war, and added the Swell Double Trumpet.

Major work was carried out in 1972 by Cousans, but in spite of the fact that the organ had four manual divisions, it was only provided with four keyboards during the 1994 rebuild.  Laurence Elvin had previously lamented the fact that the Solo and Choir divisions were both played from the same manual.

The last rebuild, costing 100,000, saw the 1972 Positiv organ incorporated as an unenclosed section of the Solo division, and a brand new Choir division (with its own keyboard) was provided.  A Solo Tuba was also provided, but the "prepared for" Pedal Contra Posaune 32ft has yet to appear. 

 


Send mail to  webmaster@bhamorgan.org.uk with questions or comments about this web site.
Last modified: December 29, 2008