BIRMINGHAM ORGANISTS' ASSOCIATION

 

ORGAN OF THE MONTH 27: September 2004

Lincoln Cathedral ("Father" Henry Willis, 1898; Harrison & Harrison, 1960 & 1998)

Click on the thumbnail to obtain a full-size image

Specification

This large and famous Father Willis organ (3636 pipes) is being visited by members of the Association on 11th September. It was the first British cathedral organ to be blown by electricity following its inauguration in 1898, and remained unaltered until 1960, when the Durham firm of Harrison & Harrison undertook a complete rebuild.  The action and blowing plant were replaced, a new console provided, and six stops were added, but Willis's original tonal schemes were unaltered.

Harrisons completed the latest rebuild, at a cost of 211,000, in time for the organ's centenary in 1998.  Apart from the addition of a Choir tremulant, there were again no tonal changes, and so we still hear today the authentic Father Willis sound.  Wind pressure is 312in wg, but with Swell & Great reeds on 7in, Pedal reeds on 15in and the Tubas on 20in.

Long-serving Organist & Master of the Choristers, Colin Walsh, had the title Organist Laureate conferred on him in January 2003.

 


Send mail to  webmaster@bhamorgan.org.uk with questions or comments about this web site.
Last modified: December 29, 2008