Holy Trinity Church, Leamington Spa (Forster & Andrews, 1903 / Hill, Norman & Beard, 1914 & 1923 / Rushworth & Draper, 1939 / Henry Willis IV 1973)

Click on the thumbnail to obtain a full-size image


Another one of the churches visited on BOA's recent "organ crawl" to Leamington - and what treasures we found here!  Not only a four manual with contributions from many major builders (see above and photo left) but also a brand new three-rank chamber organ (Stopped Diapason 8, Chimney Flute 4, Principal 2 - see photo on right), a 1987 two-manual harpsichord by Goble & Son of Oxford (see central photo), and even an old harmonium by Alexandre & Fils of Paris!

The four-manual began life as a three-manual of 28 speaking stops in Leamington College for Boys, which closed in 1902.  It was installed in what is now a side chapel at Holy Trinity in 1903 and the opening recital was given by Sir Ivor Atkins.  It was moved to its present location in 1914, when the Solo division was added, and further enlarged in 1939, when the Choir was enclosed.

The last major work was carried out by Henry Willis IV, when the action was replaced by solid state circuitry, the Choir reverted to an unenclosed division, and several tonal changes were made.  The instrument is now in the care of Harrison & Harrison.



Send mail to with questions or comments about this web site.
Last modified: April 29, 2004