BIRMINGHAM ORGANISTS' ASSOCIATION

 

ORGAN OF THE MONTH 10: April 2003

Blakenall United Reformed Church (J W Walker, c 1880)
[rebuilt by Lloyd & Haynes, 1995]

Click on the thumbnail to obtain a full-size image

Specification

Blakenall URC (the original Congregational Church dates back to the 19th century) was completely rebuilt in the 1990s.  Because funds were limited, it had been assumed that the church would use a piano or electronic instrument to accompany services, and no provision had been made for an organ loft or chamber in the design of the new building.

But (encouraged by your Webmaster) the church eventually agreed to the installation of a small, redundant, Walker organ (from a Methodist Church in nearby Cannock) on a purpose-built platform above the main entrance.  This work, and construction of a new case more suitable for the modern building, was carried out at very modest cost by the small Bilston firm of Lloyd & Haynes, showing what good results can be achieved in a small church even with a financial outlay of no more than 3000.

 

Send mail to  webmaster@bhamorgan.org.uk with questions or comments about this web site.
Last modified: December 29, 2008