Pass your mouse over a photo
for a brief description
Click on the photo to obtain
a full-size image
The history of organs in St Andrew's Hall starts in 1824, when three prominent Norwich citizens arranged for a single-manual organ by Gray & Davison to be installed in the west end for the inauguration of the Norfolk & Norwich Music Festival. A pedal organ was added in 1836, but as a result of the Festival's growing importance by 1880, the original instrument was replaced by a new 3-manual organ by Bryceson Bros & Ellis. A complete rebuild & expansion was carried out by Wm Hill & Son, Norman & Beard Ltd in 1927.
HN&B, maintainers of the organ since 1892 reported in 1975 that a major overhaul was necessary. Fund-raising started in 1980, and the work was completed in 1984.
During the 2015 Congress, this venue hosted not only the association's AGM but also a Masterclass given by Keith Wright, Head of Keyboard at St Peter's School and Director of Music at St Olave's, York. Works by Franck (Choral no.2 & Cantabile in B) and Widor (Choral from Symphonie Romaine) were played and discussed.