organ113 - Birmingham Organists' Association

Go to content

Main menu:

organ113

Organs

organ 113

November 2011

3 manuals
25 speaking stops

Click here for full spec

Abbey Foregate
United Reformed Church
Shrewsbury

Builders:

Norman & Beard, 1907
Longstaffe & Jones, 1992

Weblinks:



Pass your mouse over a photo
for a brief description

Click on the photo to obtain
a full-size image



Click here for
Organ of the Month archive
(contains over 100 organs)

This is the second of three organs to be featured following the association's trip to Shrewsbury, and is found in the town centre United Reformed (formerly Congregational) Church.  Opened in 1864 and designed by George Bidlake of Wolverhampton, it is the only non-conformist church in the town to have a spire.

The organ, built by Norman & Beard, has maintained the same stop list since 1907 except for the addition of a Pedal Trombone, a Swell Mixture, and the replacement of a Choir Orchestral Oboe (added in 1910) with a Larigot, all in 1992.  The console is situated centrally below the case and behind the pulpit.

Back to content | Back to main menu